[Zope3-dev] Re: Formatting of Created/Modified times

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 11:57:00 -0400

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>>- When I changed the code to display both date and time, it
>>>  appears to be displaying UTC!  That's no good.
>>
>>What should it display instead?
>

> That should be a site policy.
>
> A reasonable default site policy would be to let a logged-in user set
> a preferred timezone, and otherwise use the timezone of the server.

FWIW: This is just the kind of thing that a "locale" service might be
responsible for.  Site managers should be able to visit the locale
service and choose whether to display times in local time or UTC, what
date and time fomats to use, which day is the first day of the week,
currency formats, etc.

Site managers should also be able to select default locale settings
based on their geographical region.  The locale provider service should
provide the list of defaults.  (It would be nice if the locale provider
service pulled the defaults from a web site rather than installed files,
but I digress...)

Shane