[Zope3-dev] Re: Formatting of Created/Modified times

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:08:48 -0400

On Monday 09 June 2003 11:57, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> FWIW: This is just the kind of thing that a "locale" service might be
> responsible for.  Site managers should be able to visit the locale
> service and choose whether to display times in local time or UTC, what
> date and time fomats to use, which day is the first day of the week,
> currency formats, etc.

No, a site manager should not be able to do this. It should be part of user
preferences and come from the user's locale info. If I have my browser set to
German, I want my dates in German and not what some sys admin half-way around
the globe decided for me. I think the current approach of user-base locale
objects is correct.

However, I agree with the local time vs. UTC argument.

> Site managers should also be able to select default locale settings
> based on their geographical region.  The locale provider service should
> provide the list of defaults.  (It would be nice if the locale provider
> service pulled the defaults from a web site rather than installed files,
> but I digress...)

Have you looked at the current locale support yet? I think we got quiet a bit
right already.

Regards,
Stephan
--