[Zope3-dev] Re: Formatting of Created/Modified times

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:21:22 -0400

> On Monday 09 June 2003 11:57, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > FWIW: This is just the kind of thing that a "locale" service might be
> > responsible for.  Site managers should be able to visit the locale
> > service and choose whether to display times in local time or UTC, what
> > date and time fomats to use, which day is the first day of the week,
> > currency formats, etc.

Stephan
> No, a site manager should not be able to do this. It should be part
> of user preferences and come from the user's locale info. If I have
> my browser set to German, I want my dates in German and not what
> some sys admin half-way around the globe decided for me. I think the
> current approach of user-base locale objects is correct.

Sure, but if the user cannot be determined or has not expressed a
preference, the site manager should be allowed to set a suitable
default.

> However, I agree with the local time vs. UTC argument.

I agree it's an argument. :-)

Which side of the argument do you agree with?