[Zope3-dev] Re: Formatting of Created/Modified times

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:11:51 -0400

> FWIW: This is just the kind of thing that a "locale" service might be
> responsible for.  Site managers should be able to visit the locale
> service and choose whether to display times in local time or UTC, what
> date and time fomats to use, which day is the first day of the week,
> currency formats, etc.

Locale is about cultural differences e.g. what language to use, etc.

The timezone is not part of the locale.  Many locales span timezones,
and vice versa.  Example: I like to use the Dutch locale sometimes,
but I rarely like to use the Dutch timezone (except when to know
whether it's safe to call my family over there :-).

> Site managers should also be able to select default locale settings
> based on their geographical region.  The locale provider service should
> provide the list of defaults.  (It would be nice if the locale provider
> service pulled the defaults from a web site rather than installed files,
> but I digress...)

It's true that the default display timezone should be set by the site
manager.  I don't think it ought to be connected to to the local in
any way.