[Zope3-dev] Re: Formatting of Created/Modified times

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:21:11 -0400

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2003 11:57, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>FWIW: This is just the kind of thing that a "locale" service might be
>>responsible for.  Site managers should be able to visit the locale
>>service and choose whether to display times in local time or UTC, what
>>date and time fomats to use, which day is the first day of the week,
>>currency formats, etc.
>

> No, a site manager should not be able to do this. It should be part of user
> preferences and come from the user's locale info. If I have my browser set to
> German, I want my dates in German and not what some sys admin half-way around
> the globe decided for me. I think the current approach of user-base locale
> objects is correct.

What about log files?  The format of dates and times in the log file
should not depend on the browser settings.

Also, it should also be possible to make exceptions to locale settings.
  I may be in the America/New_York locale but I might prefer YYYY-MM-DD
dates and 24 hour times (rather than AM/PM).

Shane