[Zope3-dev] enhancements to undo

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:37:51 -0500

I noticed that in one of Jim's 'to-do' notes (I can't remember where I
saw this) there is a plan to enhance the undo mechanism in Zope 3.

There are a few features that I think could be useful:

- Undoing an operation in a particular context should display only those
operations that apply to the context. I think this was mentioned in
Jim's note.

- It would be nice to give the developer control over the description
used in the 'undo' operation. Currently the URL that performed the
operation is listed, which is cryptic to say the least.

- Ideally, only operations that the current user has permission to undo
would be listed. Btw, how are these permissions defined in the first
place? Is there a generic 'undo' permission?

- It seems to me that undo is just a step away from object versioning.
It might be nice to be able to annotate certain options as 'version
increments' that indicate an object is moving from v1, for example, to
v2. With this information, Zope 3 apps could display a version history
for an object, similar to other content management systems.

Any thoughts here? Again, I'm not sure what's planned, so these ideas
might be a bit dated.

 -- Garrett