[Zope3-dev] Re: compiling Zope3 on Windows

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:56:11 -0500

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Garrett Smith]
>> I'm able to use Cygwin, but only if I compile Python from source.
>=20
> Why would you need to compile Python?  Any reasonably recent version
> of Cygwin Setup should do that for you by magic, installing Python as
> /usr/bin/python.

Eh, I'm a big fan of leaning things the hard way -- yes, python 2.2.3
comes out of box with cygwin :-0
=20
>> Interestingly, there's a noticeable increase in server startup time
>> (almost 2x) when cygwin is used, in contrast to VC++.

> Don't know why, but probably due to Cygwin overhead in emulating
> non-native filesystem and process semantics.  Python compiled with
> gcc on Linux is generally slower than compiled with MSVC 6 on Windows
> too, but nowhere near a factor of 2 slower.

Not quite 2x, and only on startup.

>> life is so much easier with MS software ;-)

I'm going to take this back. Things were great with VC++ 6.0. But since
my CD is apparently in someone's truck (doh!) I ran out and bought VC++
.NET 2003 standard edition. The modules compiled without error, but I
ran into this problem when running z3:

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zodb-dev/2003-March/004620.html

This might be something related to the .NET framework since I'm running
Win2K and not XP.

Tim, let me know if you'd like to track this down. For now, I'm taking
the path of least resistance and using cygwin.

 -- Garrett