[Zope3-dev] ObjectHub should change data structure

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:50:53 -0400

Hi all.  We built the ObjectHub services as a hubid->path mapping.  This
was appropriate as a "get it done" solution.  Now it's time to optimize,
and to consider a more scalable solution, in which a renaming or moving
of a parent folder with tens of thousands of objects does not cause a
large amount of data churn.

I propose that a linked list mapping of hubid->(name, parent_id) (and
reverse) is a better solution.  We'd be able to support path->hubid and
hubid->path, and renaming or moving folders would require only changing
the one forward and reverse pair in the mapping.  Deletions could also
be optimized by removing the one folder, and having an administrative
step to clean out any orphans (i.e., linked lists that never get to the
root).

Gary

P.S.  Linked lists: patent pending.