[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFC: Through the Web Site Development

Barry Pederson bp@barryp.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:05:18 -0600

Jim Fulton wrote:

>> ------------
>> Any folder can be changed into a site (or changed from a site back to
>> an ordinary folder). To change an ordinary folder into a site, just
>> select the "Create Site" action in the folder. When a folder is
>> changed to a site, the "Create Site" link becomes a "Manage Site" link.
>> -------------
>
>> Also, there's no mechanism described for how you'd change a site back
>> to an ordinary folder.
>

> That's because there is no such mechanism. Do you think we need one? :)

The first sentence of that bit I quoted above from the wiki says it can
be changed back, so it's your idea, not mine :)

Even so, I definitely think a mechanism like that would be good  - the
first time I ran across the current equivalent and clicked on it to see
what would happen, I though "crap...how do I undo that", and of course
there wasn't a way.  Kind of a bad user-experience there.

>> ------------
>>     Folder foo is a:
>>
>>       [x]  plain folder
>>       [ ]  folder with a site manager
>>
>>     <<save changes>>
>> ------------
>
> I think that this is too lightweight.

Maybe the button labels I gave as an example are lightweight, but they
could be expanded on, or more text placed in this tab explaining what it
all means.  And it's an obvious place to come back to if you change your
mind.

If anything, I think two or three words in a menu like "Create Site" or
"Convert to Site" are far more lightweight.  Personally I wouldn't think
I was embarking on a major non-undoable function just by clicking on
something that simple-looking - which is what happens now and in the
proposal.

     Barry