[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFC: Through the Web Site Development

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:05:01 -0500

Barry Pederson wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>> ------------
>>> Any folder can be changed into a site (or changed from a site back to
>>> an ordinary folder). To change an ordinary folder into a site, just
>>> select the "Create Site" action in the folder. When a folder is
>>> changed to a site, the "Create Site" link becomes a "Manage Site" link.
>>> -------------
>>

>>> Also, there's no mechanism described for how you'd change a site back
>>> to an ordinary folder.
>>

>> That's because there is no such mechanism. Do you think we need one? :)

Oops. :)

> The first sentence of that bit I quoted above from the wiki says it can
> be changed back, so it's your idea, not mine :)
>
> Even so, I definitely think a mechanism like that would be good  - the
> first time I ran across the current equivalent and clicked on it to see
> what would happen, I though "crap...how do I undo that", and of course
> there wasn't a way.  Kind of a bad user-experience there.
>

>>> ------------
>>>     Folder foo is a:
>>>
>>>       [x]  plain folder
>>>       [ ]  folder with a site manager
>>>
>>>     <<save changes>>
>>> ------------
>>

>> I think that this is too lightweight.
>

> Maybe the button labels I gave as an example are lightweight, but they
> could be expanded on, or more text placed in this tab explaining what it
> all means.  And it's an obvious place to come back to if you change your
> mind.
>
> If anything, I think two or three words in a menu like "Create Site" or
> "Convert to Site" are far more lightweight.  Personally I wouldn't think
> I was embarking on a major non-undoable function just by clicking on
> something that simple-looking - which is what happens now and in the
> proposal.

I'm open to suggestions. In any case, there should be an intermediate

"do you really want to do this?" page that provides more description of the
ramifications of going in either direction.

Thanks for the input.