[Zope3-dev] ZCML and default namespaces

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:55:31 -0700

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 01:27  AM, Steve Alexander wrote:

>> I don't think we're using it too liberally, necessarily, but I don't
>> want that to start happening.  I'd still be happier without
>> namespaces in ZCML, personally.  If I were dealing with relatively
>> few namespaces and few documents, they're fine.  But there are a lot
>> of namespaces and a LOT of ZCML documents.
>
> Here's a list of all namespaces used in zcml.
> There are nine zcml namespaces used in zope, four or five of which are
> important to application developers.

I was about to correct you with the namespace used for the
'traversalNamespace' directive as number 10, but I just found out that
directive is added into the main Zope namespace.  But for the last
three days, I thought otherwise.

To my eyes (and I again I raise the "I may just not be acclimated to
XML" flag, partly because I like saying 'acclimated' almost as much as
I like saying 'indefatigable') this::

<zopeConfigure
    xmlns='http://namespaces.zope.org/zope'

and this::

<zopeConfigure
    xmlns='http://namespaces.zope.org/help'

are not easily distinguishable when staring at a ZCML file too late at
night, especially when there are other namespaces being registered (and
what if 'page' shows up in more than one namespace?  And if that's not
going to happen, then why have namespaces?).

Maybe I've just gotten used to the concept that
'namespaces.zope.org/zope' is always going to the primary namespace
(especially with the zopeConfigure tag there).  I can learn my way
around this though.