[Zope3-dev] Tossing Data.fs considered harmful

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
15 Mar 2003 17:03:51 -0500

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 16:37, Steve Alexander wrote:

> > My claim is that we can't continue assuming that it is OK to make people
> > toss content or TTW code;  nobody will actually start using Zope3 "for
> > real" until we promise that such events won't keep happening.  Note that
> > the final line of Jeremy's note was:
> >
> >   We are planning one or two more changes down the line that may also
> >   cause format incompatibilities.  Our goal is to get those changes
> >   finished as soon as possible.
> >
> > I don't want to be in the middle of a sprint and have to scrap work
> > because another such change lands;  even more than that, I want to be
> > able to work with applications I am building without worrying about this
> > any longer.
>
> I agree.
>
> The question is, when to start this policy?
>
>  From the point of view of users and early adopters of Zope 3, as soon
> as possible.
>
>  From the point of view of developers of Zope 3 who have work in
> progress and haven't planned for this with current work, after the next
> official Zope 3 release would be reasonable.
>
> I think Jim wants to cut a new release within the next seven days.
> Would you find that an acceptably soon time to start this new policy?

That works for me.  There will be two ongoing sprints during the
following week (Berlin, PyCon);  I know that the Berlin sprint is
focused on "application-level" stuff, rather than infrastructure.

Tres.