[Zope3-dev] Tossing Data.fs considered harmful

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:23:48 -0500

I think it's way too early to start requiring backwards compatibility
(even just in Data.fs) for Zope 3.  There are still too many
interfaces and design decisions that were done provisionally and need
be replaced; it will be hard or impossible to fix all these things
without breaking compatibility.  (The service renaming was an example.
For another example, the grand renaming left various things in
less-than-ideal places; when a class or module is moved or renamed,
this almost always breaks Data.fs.)

Maybe as a compromise, we should provide conversion tools between the
Data.fs flavors belonging to official releases, starting with the next
alpha (I'm not sure if Jim's planned release should be considered an
alpha or not; I've heard conflicting rumors about this).

People running from CVS would not be isolated from incompatibilities;
IMO that's a fair cop.