[Zope3-dev] Big import blocks

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:51:52 -0500

Phillip J. Eby writes:
 > For these sort of "internal interfaces", I tend to use the term "SPI", or
 > Service Provider Interface.  I stole the term from the J2EE world, where
 > the interfaces that a framework requires of service providers are defined
 > as SPI's, in contrast to the API's that end-users call.  It would still be
 > a nice short TLA.  :)

Service Provider Interfaces are fairly well defined, though.  What
we've described here is an interface that depends on frequency of
import, which is very different indeed!

So I'll suggest calling it the "ZCI", or "Zope Common Interface".
Unless "zci" is too long a name, in which case we can call it "zs",
for "Zope Stuff".

Seriously, Zope code (including stuff I've written!) has a tendency to
import things from modules rather than just importing modules.  That
usually feels like it's much harder to read.  Perhaps before we go
creating new modules to encapsulate frequency-of-import information we
should consider revisiting our import habits.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation