[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZWeb] nzo: just for inspiration

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:41:28 +0200

> Here is a screenshot:
>
> http://hathaway.freezope.org/Images/alistapart.png

Thanks.
I see that the large banner-style logo overflows into the right-hand
column and interferes with the text there.

What would you expect a table-based layout version of the same to do
under those circumstances?

What would your ideal behaviour be under those circumstances?

That page seems to be designed to be viewed at least as wide as the
banner-style logo plus the width of the right-hand column.

So, that page looks imperfect when viewed in an insufficiently wide browser.

However, that page will work much better than a tables-based-layout
version on a mobile phone/pda, in a text-mode browser, and in a blind
person's screen-reader.

I think that, for that page, the designer decided that it was not so
important to support perfect layout when the browser is made so thin
that only one letter of the browser's Location bar is visible.

> This is actually a pretty tame example.  I've seen worse, but I can't
> remember where I found them.  This is with Mozilla 1.3 final.
>
> Again, there might be a solution, but even one of the top advocates of CSS
> tables doesn't seem to know how to solve it.

I think the solution in this case is not to use such a wide graphic and
fixed-width right-hand column, if the author wants to support skinny
browsers :-)

--
Steve Alexander