[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZWeb] nzo: just for inspiration

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:11:48 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:
<snip>
> However,
> it's just one more reason that I see CSS tables as a loss rather than a
> gain, so in my own designs I will continue to use normal tables.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, Netscape has a section of DevEdge advocating
standards:

http://devedge.netscape.com/central/strategy/

In it, they have a "Case Studies" section, in which ESPN and Wired folks
discuss their recent switch to fully standards-compliant XHTML and CSS.
  Both interviews specifically address the tables issue discussed here.
  The DevEdge redesign case study addresses it less directly, but also
is still worth a look.

While I have my own gripes about CSS-based design, I am very firmly in
the camp that prefers them, in the long run, to table-based, non-CSS
designs.  I was in the client-side trenches for pretty big sites at a
previous job, and CSS-based designs encourage significantly more sane,
more maintainable designs.  I found them to be a big win, over the long
run, in practice.

Which is not to say that the concerns raised in this thread are not
valid.  I just don't encourage going down the "table" road for a
long-term project such as the Zope 3 UI.  CSS-based designs have their
own flaws, but are a very significant improvement.

Gary