[Zope3-dev] Re: absolute_url misconfiguration?

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:24:47 -0300

Jim Fulton wrote:
> The thing here is that the view is not browser specific. It only
> computes a URL.  It makes sense for any presentation type that deals
> with URLs, which includes HTTP.
>
> This is unique to views that deal with urls only.
>> Changing it to IHTTPPresentation would be:
<snip>

> That looks right.

Just making sure: Should I commit my fix and any other occurrences if found?

>> 2. If Browser is going away, should I change everything to use HTTP?
>
> Eek, No!  Browser isn't going away as a presentation type.  You should
> use the HTTP server rather than the Borwser server because the HTTP
> server handles Browser requests, XML-RPC requests and other HTTP requests.
>
> Most browser views depend heavily on browser semantics. Certainly
> views that generate HTML are.

Sorry, I misunderstood the issue here. I still dont see where a Browser
Presentation is different from HTTP Presentation, but I havent looked at
the code.

> If you identify other views that *really* don't depend on browser
> semantics, then you could register them for the more general HTTP
> presentation type.

Humm... I guess that 'depending on browser semantics' can be interpreted
as 'depending on browser features', like charset negotiation? Then I can
say I understood the difference.

~dc