[Zope3-dev] Re: absolute_url misconfiguration?

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:45:18 -0500

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> The thing here is that the view is not browser specific. It only
>> computes a URL.  It makes sense for any presentation type that deals
>> with URLs, which includes HTTP.
>>
>> This is unique to views that deal with urls only.
>>
>>> Changing it to IHTTPPresentation would be:
>
> <snip>
>

>> That looks right.
>

> Just making sure: Should I commit my fix and any other occurrences if
> found?

Yes

>>> 2. If Browser is going away, should I change everything to use HTTP?
>>

>> Eek, No!  Browser isn't going away as a presentation type.  You should
>> use the HTTP server rather than the Borwser server because the HTTP
>> server handles Browser requests, XML-RPC requests and other HTTP
>> requests.
>>
>> Most browser views depend heavily on browser semantics. Certainly
>> views that generate HTML are.
>

> Sorry, I misunderstood the issue here. I still dont see where a Browser
> Presentation is different from HTTP Presentation, but I havent looked at
> the code.

Browsers have some specific semantics (e.g. looking for default pages)
that aren't relevent for HTTP in general.

>> If you identify other views that *really* don't depend on browser
>> semantics, then you could register them for the more general HTTP
>> presentation type.
>

> Humm... I guess that 'depending on browser semantics' can be interpreted
> as 'depending on browser features', like charset negotiation? Then I can
> say I understood the difference.

The main differencr I can think of off the top of my head is the handling
of default pages.  I suspect there are others but I'm too lazy to look at
the code at this point.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org