[Zope3-dev] Number of languages in Zope 3

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:55:52 +0100

Steve Alexander wrote:

> Someone who wants to install Zope will need to know the simple
> configuration language (ZConfig). And that is all.

What class of user will _only_ want to install Zope?

> Someone who wants to write their own product will need to know a
> programming language (Python), perhaps a templating language (Page
> Templates) and a complex configuration language (ZCML).

What are the benefits of needing to know three as opposed to two languages here?

> Someone who wants to write templates will need to know a templating
> language (Page Templates or DTML or both).

Under what circumstances would they need to know more than just the templating
language in order to produce such templates?

>  > Why do you consider that a desirable goal?
>
> I need an answer to this question before I can make sense of what
> problem needs to be addressed.

Simplicity is always better. Having to know extra languages definitely reduces
simplicity!

> If you want to fully understand a project written in the ".NET"
> framework, you may need to know all of these languages, plus the
> configuration language that .NET uses.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/partners/language/default.asp
>
> How many languages do you count there?

A lot. Why are we aspiring to be .NET?