[Zope3-dev] Number of languages in Zope 3

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:21:29 +0200

Chris Withers wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>> You are comparing cows with dogs. PHP and ASP are very languages
>> but Zope2 and 3 are frameworks.
>
> What examples are there of successful frameworks that require the
> knowledge of two config languages, two templating languages and a
> scripting language?

The OpenACS system is made up of OpenACS, AOLserver and either Oracle or
PostgreSQL.

This is roughly the same division of responsibilities as I imagine the
future combination of Plone, Zope3, and ZODB4 will have.

The OpenACS framework requires knowledge of the configuration languages
of Oracle or Postgres, of AOLserver and of your chosen RDBMS.

If you want to use stored procedures, you have the choice of all the
languages that PostgreSQL allows you to use. You'll need to use Tcl, as
that's what AOLserver and OpenACS use. You'll need to use SQL. It is
common to extend AOLserver in C. AOLserver has its own templating system.

So, that's at least two configuration languages, a programming language,
a scripting language, a database query langauge, and a templating language.

People also use the add-on XSL-T module. I'm not sure whether to
classify that as a templating language or a programming language.

I don't actually use ACS so I might be a bit inaccurate in what I said
above. If so, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can correct me.

--
Steve Alexander