Basic vs. Rotterdam (Was Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/zope/app/browser/skins/rotterdam - template.pt:1.25)

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Fri, 2 May 2003 22:52:48 +0200

Paul Everitt wrote:

> (Changing subject to something a little clearer...)
>
> Given:
>
> 1) Some percentage of people want a sexy, modern interface.
>
> 2) Some people want a simple interface w/ little reliance on recent
> (under 5 year old) technology.

Has anyone actually advocated point 2 very seriously recently? I've
heard Guido say it would be nice. I agree it would be nice, both as a possible
code example for skin developers and as something that works on minimalistic
browsers.

But 'wouldbe nice' is not enough evidence there's a huge demand for this
right now, and before all kind of discussion takes place about this
couldn't we just close this discussion now and keep efforts focused
on the Rotterdam skin?

Zope 3 is flexible enough for people to develop a minimalistic skin
at some unspecified future reasonably quickly anyway. If the Zope 3
project has even a fraction of the success Zope 2 has and there is
any demand, this could happen sooner than people may think now.
Just compare this with other applications which have skinning capabilities.
We'll have a minimalistic skin and a grey metallic skin and a skin using
the latest in browser SVG capabilities before you know it. :)

Regards,

Martijn