[Zope3-dev] Re: principal events for the event hub

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 07 May 2003 16:22:06 -0400

Steve Alexander wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Do we really want this many messages floating around Zope 3?
>>
>> I know we're aiming to be slow^w^w^w^wnot aiming to be optimised, but
>> how will we ever make a system with myriads of events flowing around
>> scale properly?
>

> How do you expect a system to scale properly if it doesn't use some form
> of abstraction and decoupling?

Chris wasn't suggesting that we have no form of abstraction and
decoupling. I don't think he meant to imply that we wouldn't use events.

Christian's proposal has an event for *every* object access. That is
*a lot* of events. I think that that is an unreasonably large number of
events. I would not want to generate that many events by default, especially
since there wasn't a reasom given for why they are necessary.

Having said that, if someone *did* need that level of notification
(e.g. for super anal auditing) they could install a custom security policy
that generated the events.

Of course, you'd need to make sure that you didn't generate events for the
security checks to make sure the events could be accessed. :)

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org