[Zope3-dev] Question: Are principals (sometimes aka users) content or meta-content?

Thu, 08 May 2003 22:18:31 +1000

>>> Stephan Richter wrote
> Surely I want to be able to store data inside a user (sort of home
> directory).

Do you? Or do you want to store data that's _associated_ with a user?

> In Zope  2 I accomplished that by making all my users folderish objects.
> Therefore the user would be content

This (to me) is mixing two very different things in a way that's likely
to lead to confusion and problems later down the track. It's all too
much magic.

> However, we could also could adopt the Unix model and associating a "home
> directory" with each user. Then the user would be meta content and the home
> directory would be content. I think this is close to what Steve has in mind.

This seems like a far better model. By default you could possibly not
create a user folder unless they need to store personal data (depending
on your needs, of course).

Anthony