[Zope3-dev] Re: Complexness of Zope3

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 15:58:15 -0400

Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think there are more people like me who think that zope is too
> big. In my python product I only use very little of the available
> tools. I don't use: acquisition, DTML, ZPT, ZClasses ...

Most people do use acquisition and either DTML or ZPT.

> I only use python, ZODB and ZCatalog, usermanagement and sessions.

Different features are important to different people.

> Zope3, I though would clean up a lot of things. But when you look at
> the documentation, zope3 seems very complex.

Hm.  I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully, that is, in part, due to the
documentation being very immature.

I think Zope 3 will have roughly the same feature set as Zope 2.
As Phillip pointed out, it will be much easier to select just the features
you want.  I expect that Zope 3 will come with a number of sample
configuration files that provide markedly different feature sets,
reflecting different needs.

> Since the problems you want to solve with tools like zope3 are complex
> you need some easy to use tools. You can't teach your colleagues the
> tools for several weeks, before starting with the project.

It depends a lot on what you want to do. I find a lot of non-technical
people are able to do a lot with Zope without much training.  In many
people programmers have a harder time because the Zope 2 framework
is so big and interconnected.

Zope 3 is trying to make things a lot easier for the programmer.

> Aren't you afraid that many people will switch to e.g Quixote+ZODB
> because Zope is to complex?

I want Zope to be less complex and, more importantly, I want the complexity
that's there to be easier to grasp and learn gradually. I'm pretty comfortable
that we'll be able to acheiv that. Constructive criticisms and suggestions
will certainly help.

:)

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org