[Zope3-dev] Complexness of Zope3

sathya sathya@zeomega.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 12:48:23 -0500

>In my python product I only use very little of the available
>tools. I don't use: acquisition, DTML, ZPT, ZClasses ...

If you dont use acquisition,DTML,ZPT and you are trying to build a web
application using zope, it seems like you are  not really building
anything that needs the object publishing power of zope.

Heres a quote from Greg ward "If the web designers at your organization
are keen to try out a real programming language, then Quixote might
provide them with a good introduction to Python; but anyone who doesn't
understand what "import a module" or "call a function" means isn't going
to get very far with Quixote. Similarly, anyone who expects to use a
dedicated, WYSIWYG HTML editor for creating web pages will be left out."

This is one example where zope with all the machinery it comes with
accomodates web designers and this is a must  in any enterprise intranet
solution or content management system. I cannot put quixote in front of
the content editor.

Most  experienced professionals are capable of comprehending the problem
and identify the right tool to use to solve it. Ultimately it boils down
to that. I am not really trying to  belittle  quixote vs zope but
 rather to say that both have their place.
Zope3 is not complicated , the point is  it takes some effort to learn
any new  framework and i dont think once has to expend any more effort
learning zope3 as compared to beans running wild  all over the
enterprise J2EE  or quixote or webware or whatever.

The good thing is  theres a choice  and more power to the small man.....
 ! No downsides to that

sathya
:)