[Zope3-dev] collectorIssue: 119: Unicode error with accented characters

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 30 May 2003 14:24:01 +0300

> This has special complications as ids appear in URLs, and
> that means they need to be encoded as I think URLs do not accept unicode
> but require a (subset of) ASCII (but I may be wrong).

URLs are recommended to be UTF-8 encoded and then url-encoded.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2718.txt

Unless there is some compelling reason for a particular scheme to do
otherwise, translating character sequences into UTF-8 (RFC 2279) [3] and
then subsequently using the %HH encoding for unsafe octets is recommended.

See also  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.1

Zope 3 doesn't do this at present, but it should do this.

--
Steve Alexander