[Zope3-dev] Tests hanging from 28th May onwards

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:31:30 -0400

[Guido]
> But on Windows98,

I'll confess that I rarely try any Zopish tests on Win98SE anymore.  I've
got nothing against it (except that it's Win98SE <wink>), it's just another
time sink I can't afford now (on my home box, testing cycles are consumed by
2.2.3 and 2.3 Python testing these days).

> running test.py -p with Python 2.3, I saw one hang in
> testCommitLockVoteFinish in zeo\tests\commitlock.py; when I re-ran
> the tests with -pv, that one passed, but I got a traceback from
> testKKDLIST (zope.server.ftp.tests.test_ftpserver.Tests) followed by a
> hang.  A third run, this time with -vv, completed with one error in
> test_httpserver (No buffer space available; I think this test simply
> can't pass on Win98.)

For the record:  testManyClients in test_httpserver.py will never pass on
Win98SE, unless its hardcoded 50 is dropped to about 40.  It tries to open
more sockets simultaneously than Win98 supports ("no buffer space" is the
error msg you get then).

> (I wonder if the test options have something to do with it; I doubt
> it though).

I also doubt it -- *everything* is flakier on Win98, and if you run the
tests three times there, using any set of options, it's quite likely (IME)
that *something* will hang.

I ran the Zope3 tests under 2.2.3c1 several times yesterday under Win2K,
both before and after the socket()-call fix (a glitch unique to Windows in a
new test), and saw no hangs or other failures.