[Zope3-dev] Would anyone mind having to toss their Zope 3 database?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Nov 18 11:39:15 EST 2003

I'm planning on doing the work to preserve old data after adaptergeddon,
but, if no one actually cares, I won't bother, as it's not a trivial effort.

If no one minds having to toss their data, then I can also remove old
backward-compatability support from previous refactorings.

If anyone does mind, that's fine, but then I'll provide a warning before the
merge and provide a couple of days for people to test the adaptergeddon branch
against their data.

Before merging the parentgeddon branch, I suggested that people try it out
with their data to make sure my efforts to convert old data were sucessful.
Did anyone take me up on the offer?

We need a better framework or toolset for migrating data after
refactoring. Unfortunately, developing that hasn't been a high priority
(yet).  Maybe it should be.

I'm curious.  Is current data valuable enough that we should delay other
Zope 3 work to get a data migration system in place?  Or is it better to
work on core architecture and features now.

Thoughts?