[Zope3-dev] a note on groups and roles

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Nov 19 18:58:00 EST 2003

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Steve Alexander wrote:
> AFAIK, we are using principal to mean "user or group".  Principal is like
> a base class.

That's how I understood it too.

> Maybe the word "role" isn't appropriate in the context of a group.  Maybe
> we need a better word for "role".  Maybe "rights" would be a better word.

I don't really feel that renaming 'role' to something else at this stage
is going to help matters. Role is a rather well established name.
EI also haven't seen difficulties among Silva users in understanding
that if you're a member of a group you (or the requests you issue is
perhaps more accurate) have whatever roles this group has, in effect.

Regards,

Martijn