[Zope3-dev] Associations

Roché Compaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Tue Oct 28 03:54:25 EST 2003

* Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> [2003-10-28 02:57]:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2003 17:17, Roché Compaan wrote:
> > I thought rewriting our Zope2 association service for Zope3 will be a
> > good beginning to get to know Zope3, and it is. For those who missed the
> > thread on associations a couple of months ago, the basic idea is to
> > support bi-directional associations between objects and it is loosely
> > based on the MOF model for associations.
> >
> > I've made some progress and uploaded some source to:
> >     http://www.zope.org/Members/upfront/associations.tgz
> >
> > There are no docs yet but the interfaces and tests should give you an
> > idea of how it hangs together. If you are interested in this at all
> > please comment.
>
> I looked at your code briefly and it looks very promising. There are plans to
> have a native relationship service in the Zope 3 core. I just checked the
> Proposals section and there is an old Relationship Service proposal [1]. You
> might want to update it.

Do you want to stick to the name "Relationship Service"? I like the
vocabulary that the MOF model provides us with and that it won't be
easily confused with the usage of the terms "relation" or
"relationship" in relational and database theory.

> After that you could actually work on the Zope 3
> core implementation of this service, since you seem to be the only one that
> is willing to actually work on it! ;-) This way your work would be part of
> the whole Zope 3 effort, which would mean it would get much more exposure,
> feedback and input from other Zope 3 developers.

I would like that. We found that we can't live without associations
anymore when building apps so I'll be working on this in any case for
our Zope3 apps.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za