[Zope3-dev] Problems with Zope 3, Virtual Hosting (Apache) and Cookies

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at tufts.edu
Wed Sep 3 23:27:54 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

after a lot of fruitless hours, I finally figured out why setting cookies does
not work when using Virtual Hosting with Apache. The problem is that when a
response is returned to Apache, Apache combs through the headers and removes
all "Set-Cookie" header entries except the last one, so that only one
"Set-Cookie" header per Apache response is sent to the browser. I reread the
corresponding RFC and verified that our generated Cookie Headers follow the
standard.

You can easily reproduce the bug by installing Apache and put Zope 3 behind
it. Create a page that generates several cookies and execute it. Then observe
the HTTP header you got back from Apache and you will notice that there is
only one "Set-Cookie" entry.

Does anyone have a clue how to address this issue? BTW, I am using

Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux)
Server built:   Jun 19 2002 11:55:23

Regards,
Stephan
--