Script (Python), was Re: [Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Sep 6 14:56:21 EDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 04:50:21PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> >IIRC, zope 3 does not currently have an equivalent to
> >zope 2's Script (Python).
>
> Good grief! So we're back to early Zope 2 land of being forced to write all
> code in the template language. That sucks!

Well, the plan has always been that there would be some sort
of through-the-web python scripting object. We just haven't got
around to it.
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FAQ

When I visited ZC for the last sprint (in May or June, I forget exactly),
Jim Fulton was very eager for this project to be tackled, and
Chris McDonough and I tentatively committed to it, but other
work has prevented us from doing anything thus far.

As for what you can contribute at this stage: I think one or more
concrete proposals would be very useful. We need something
targeted at the "Site Scripter" and "Site Developer", as described
in the wiki:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SiteScripter
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SiteDeveloper

The simplest proposal would probably be "port Script (Python) from
zope 2 to zope 3".

I would be very happy to participate in any such discussion.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com