[Zope3-dev] Re: Script (Python), was Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Sep 7 09:04:10 EDT 2003

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 04:50:21PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>>>IIRC, zope 3 does not currently have an equivalent to
>>>zope 2's Script (Python).
>>
>>Good grief! So we're back to early Zope 2 land of being forced to write all
>>code in the template language. That sucks!
>

> Well, the plan has always been that there would be some sort
> of through-the-web python scripting object. We just haven't got
> around to it.
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FAQ
>
> When I visited ZC for the last sprint (in May or June, I forget exactly),
> Jim Fulton was very eager for this project to be tackled, and
> Chris McDonough and I tentatively committed to it, but other
> work has prevented us from doing anything thus far.
>
> As for what you can contribute at this stage: I think one or more
> concrete proposals would be very useful. We need something
> targeted at the "Site Scripter" and "Site Developer", as described
> in the wiki:
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SiteScripter
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SiteDeveloper

The site developer will use persistent modules. They won't use anything
like the "script python" we have in Zope 2.

The question is whether the site scripter should use module-like things
or things like the Zope 2 script python. Personally, I'd like to see
something more like modules.

I also think that the <script> tag is important for the scripter. Often,
all they need is some Python code to support a template.  The script
tag fives them a familiar way to do that.

> The simplest proposal would probably be "port Script (Python) from
> zope 2 to zope 3".

But I'd rather we bother to think hard about this.

> I would be very happy to participate in any such discussion.

Great.

Finally, I'll note that it's more important to come up with the right
concept than it is to implement it. Implementation is relatively
straightforward.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org