[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Sep 7 09:27:31 EDT 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 00:23, Andreas Jung wrote:
> I agree mostly with Chris and Jeffrey. For years we preached the separation
> of presentation
> and logic....and now going back the PHP age? NO! The approach of working
> with templates and
> skin methods worked very fine in the past in our company and I don't see
> why a programmer should
> see this code in templates and why a designer should see unreleated code in
> a template.

You make a false assumption here. The script support is **not** for
programmers, but for **scripters**. We do not want to go back to the PHP, but
yet we have to ask ourselves why PHP is so successful. We have thought about
this a bit and noticed that sometimes quick and dirty is what you want to do
or the only thing someone starting with programming knows how to do.

> Forget this
> mad idea. Another point: how would you implement reusable skin methods?
> Through code duplication?

This support is not meant for the serious application developer. For scripters
code duplication is not as much of an issue or will not occur, since they
simply do not know how to do it better.  But getting **something** working is
much better than getting nothing working and learning more theory. Most
people learn by example (that certainly includes me), so allowing them to get
something up and going is much better than doing it the right way.

One of the goals in Zope 3 is to provide a gradual learning curve from a
scripter to a real developer. I expect myself to write an article about that
soon as we have several necessary components in place for this already. ;-)

> Keep the good concepts of Zope 2 and kick the worse crap.

We do, but one of the flaws in Zope 2 is that it provides no entry point to
the scripter.

Regards,
Stephan
--