[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Andreas Jung andreas at andreas-jung.com
Sun Sep 7 15:40:27 EDT 2003

--On Sonntag, 7. September 2003 8:27 Uhr -0400 Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:

> You make a false assumption here. The script support is **not** for
> programmers, but for **scripters**. We do not want to go back to the PHP,
> but  yet we have to ask ourselves why PHP is so successful. We have
> thought about  this a bit and noticed that sometimes quick and dirty is
> what you want to do  or the only thing someone starting with programming
> knows how to do.

Programmer or scripter...it does make a difference. Scripting support inside
templates leads to unmaintainable code and unmaintainable sites.  In the
current
situtation with Zope2/CMF/Plone scripts are forced to separate content and
logic (although ZPT allows to bring some logic into templates). From my view
as a programmer it is a nightmare to watch for related code in PythonScripts
*and* templates. Mixing Python and ZPT does not make things easier during
the development and maintenance of a site. Ok...you could forbid your
template designers and scripters to use scripts inside templates but such
a measure is hard to enforce and it is not good for working together in a
project..

-aj