[Zope3-dev] scripter/designer concerns

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Sep 7 17:45:02 EDT 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 15:04, Joachim Werner wrote:
> We need richer paradigms, like real widgets, events, etc.;

We have events and many of the other rich paradigms (i.e. a component
architecture). The reason we do not have widgets has several reasons:

1. A conventional event-driven approach to a GUI might not be the right thing
for a request/response server-client model. I would fear that it creates an
unnecessary overhead. Note however that I already wrote a proposal for a
generic Layout-Widget model.
See http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/LayoutWidgetsProposal

Furthermore, I mentioned to Jim that I would love to see a product that
understands KDE UI files (XML-format) and creates HTML displays. But this is
just an extremely low priority for me at this stage.

2. There has not been anyone around who is interested in this kind of approach
to Web-development. Everyone using and developing Zope 3 seems to be quiet
happy.

3. We simply have not seen the need for them, i.e. developed good use cases.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter