[Zope3-dev] Re: Script (Python), was Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Martijn Faassen faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon Sep 8 17:53:18 EDT 2003

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> One problem I can see is that its hard even for me to
> see 'where things come from' currently. Eg: I have a field, and I want
> to make a CustomWidget out of it. I want to use the same widget as the
> field would use with no changes, only with a slight change in a
> parameter, but its not possible to figure out what widget would be
> that until the time the widget gets called. This is going to bite
> people a lot, IMHO. A way to inspect this kind of things will be
> really helpful for Site Developers, but let's stop here, as I'm a bit
> off-topic already.

For views/widgets a bit more thinking about a widget-tree like in GUI
toolkits would be useful. This could be used for more than just
introspection, but introspection use is already very useful.

I'm not sure whether the current page template model lends itself to this.
One could introspect macros, but I don't know how widgets currently get
called onto the screen exactly.

Regards,

Martijn