[Zope3-dev] Re: Script (Python), was Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at plone.org
Sun Sep 7 23:46:26 EDT 2003

| The site developer will use persistent modules. They won't use anything
| like the "script python" we have in Zope 2.
|
| The question is whether the site scripter should use module-like things
| or things like the Zope 2 script python. Personally, I'd like to see
| something more like modules.

As for myself, I don't see any value on working with persistent
modules, but it may be because I haven't really tried them yet. I can
talk with my mouth full, because I've been doing Zope 3 development
for a customer 8h per day for the last two months, and I'm really
happy with just having Views, and building complex views out of
auto-generated views. But maybe its because the Site Developer hat
doesn't fit me. One problem I can see is that its hard even for me to
see 'where things come from' currently. Eg: I have a field, and I want
to make a CustomWidget out of it. I want to use the same widget as the
field would use with no changes, only with a slight change in a
parameter, but its not possible to figure out what widget would be
that until the time the widget gets called. This is going to bite
people a lot, IMHO. A way to inspect this kind of things will be
really helpful for Site Developers, but let's stop here, as I'm a bit
off-topic already.

--
Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at plone.org>
dreamcatching :: making your dreams come true

Asynchronous inputs are at the root of our race problems.
		-- D. Winker and F. Prosser