[Zope3-dev] Re: Script (Python), was Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Sep 8 06:16:28 EDT 2003

Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 06:22  AM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> The question is whether the site scripter should use module-like things
>>> or things like the Zope 2 script python. Personally, I'd like to see
>>> something more like modules.
>>

>> There is a third alternative.  There could be Python things that were
>> truly
>> scripts. One of the things I don;t like about "script python" is that
>> they
>> are a bit like scripts and a bit like menthods. It always bothered me
>> that
>> they don't act like anything familiar in Python.
>

> What is familiar with Python?
>
> A Python file can be a module, executable script, or both.

Right. A "script python" is neither.  It is a method that
pretends not to be.  It uses a "return" statement, unlike
a script or module.  It has no "def" statement, unlike a method.
You can't define any names, unlike a module. There are multiple
"extra" bound arguments, unlike a method. Of course, you can't
actually see these, so maybe they don't count. ;)  Oh yeah,
and there an extra column of spaces added for you (to work with
the def statement that's added for you), to mess up your triply-
quoted strings.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org