[Zope3-dev] Re: Z3 schemas and validation?

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey at cuemedia.com
Tue Sep 9 12:43:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 08:43  AM, Garrett Smith wrote:

>>> I.e. something like this?
>>>
>>>   from zope.schema import validateObject
>> Erm. I see no 'validateObject' in the zope.schema package.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>> ImportError: cannot import name validateObject
>

> Oh gosh, I'm sorry -- that was a suggested modification. It doesn't
> exist yet :-)
>
> I wanted to get an idea if this is what you were looking for.
> Currently (I think) the only application for schemas are within the
> browser/form framework. If changes are made for other uses, I would
> want to ensure that there's a user community that's putting it to use.

Schema's are Interface (contractual/descriptive interface, not user)
level elements that can be used to describe attributes/properties of
objects that implement that interface.  Form generation based on these
descriptions is a helpful benefit.  One could also imagine generation
of other output (XML Schema, WSDL, etc) based on these descriptions.

Or - Schema elements define a Model, which can be used by the
View/Controller layer to generate a user interface and update a Model
component based on this definition.  The definition has many uses.