[Zope3-dev] Container interface issues

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Sep 11 00:15:22 EDT 2003

>>> Jim Fulton wrote
> I proposed that application code, rather than containers, be
> responsible for generating events and calling necessary hooks when
> adding or removing objects.

I understand the rationale for it (indeed, I can't see a better way) but
this makes me uneasy. In the process of hooking up the catalog I found a
number of existing places that were not Doing The Right Thing with event
generation - making more places to do this Would Be Bad. Tracking down
missing event generation stuff also sucks - things are just wacky, and
it takes some time to find the problem.

I wonder if we could do something where _in_ _addition_ to the
object delete and object add events (generated by the container) the
application code could also flag a 'move' event. Then (assuming some
magic handwaving) the event service notices that it's got a move, add
and del event for the same object, and coalesces them into a move event?

Just-thinking-out-loud-ly yrs,
Anthony