[Zope3-dev] Container interface issues

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Wed Sep 10 10:53:44 EDT 2003

Anthony Baxter wrote:

>>I proposed that application code, rather than containers, be
>>responsible for generating events and calling necessary hooks when
>>adding or removing objects.
>

> I understand the rationale for it (indeed, I can't see a better way) but
> this makes me uneasy. In the process of hooking up the catalog I found a
> number of existing places that were not Doing The Right Thing with event
> generation - making more places to do this Would Be Bad. Tracking down
> missing event generation stuff also sucks - things are just wacky, and
> it takes some time to find the problem.

Even so, it doesn't feel right to make containers generate the events.
They don't have enough information to know why an object is being added
or removed.

I wonder if there's some kind of "structure management" layer lurking
here.  It looms somewhere between the application and the database.  It
smells like RDBMS triggers and relational integrity.

Also-thinking-out-loud'ly y'rs, Shane