[Zope3-dev] Re: browser:page (was re: scripter/designer concerns)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 10 15:33:31 EDT 2003

Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 08:20  AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
>>
>>> And, as an aside, why are widgets declared with the browser:page
>>> element?
>>

>> Widgets are just views on schema fields. Confusing is of course that
>> views normally in Zope 3 as it stands tend to be whole pages, and
>> widgets are always *parts* of another view.
>

> I also noticed that <browser:page> is being used to assign new traversal
> objects, with a name of "_traverse".  That also seems to go against some
> of what I expected of Zope 3 - less magic names.  Shouldn't that be
> registering a view/adapter for some IBrowserTraversal interface instead
> of registering a 'page' for '_traverse'?

This will be addressed in an upcoming adaptergeddon.

Views will behave more like adapters. They will adapt from
an object (or multiple objects) and a request. They will be
able to adapt to a specific interface, or to None (no interface).
They will be allowed to be named or unnamed.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org