[Zope3-dev] Re: Mini proposal: simpify presentation-lookup api

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Apr 1 11:21:00 EST 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

> In the docstrings, you talk about presentations, but the methods are
> called {get|query}Presenter. I think they should be called
> {get|query}Presentation. That's also inline with the service being
> called Presentation Service, the service for Adapters being called
> Adapter Service, etc. etc.

Presenter is shorter. I'm open to even shorter names. :)

We can rename the service.

> That's good, since I guess we'll have BrowserViews etc. provide
> IPublished...

Well, "pages" will present IPublished. I'm working on a separate
proposal for that. :)

>> So, for example, a call like:
>>
>>   view = zapi.getView(ob, name, request)
>>
>> will become:
>>
>>   view = zapi.getPresenter((ob, request), someinterface, name)
>

> How will resources be looked up?

resource = zapi.getPresenter((request, ), someinterface, name)

>> where often, name will be '' and can be ommitted:
>

> Btw, why does name default to ''. I find that a little implicit. I would
> much rather have it default to None.

No, because None is not a valid name. :)

I've trid it both ways. It's simpler in the long run to simply say that
unnamed things are things with empty names.