[Zope3-dev] Re: Mini proposal: simpify presentation-lookup api

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Apr 1 14:09:06 EST 2004

Jim,

>>> Presenter is shorter. I'm open to even shorter names. :)
>>
>> I distinctly remember you ruling explicitness in names (even if it
>> means long names) over short names. This is a case where I agree with
>> this policy of yours :)
>
> Great, but we haven't proved that there aren't short names that are
> meaningful.

Ok. I'm not going to prove that one, 'cause I'm fine with Presentation.

>>> We can rename the service.
>>
>> -1
>
> You aren't -1 on renaming the service are you? You are -1 on
> "presentor", right?

Yes.

>> A presentation is clear. A presentator is not. The endswith('or')
>> implies an actor, a (real) person doing something.
>

> But a presentation component presents an object, just like
> an adapter adapts an object.
>
> Would you prefer "getAdaptation", and an "Adaptation Service"

No. Here's why:

'Adapter' is a common word. 'Presentation' is a common word.
'Adaptation' and 'Presentor' are not. Yes, this is a matter of being
comfortable when using the terms.

I would prefer

   AdapterService.getAdapter()

and