[Zope3-dev] Re: directives zope:class and zope:content

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Apr 29 07:36:01 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Eckart,
>
>> can somebody tell me, what is the difference between the directives
>> zope:content and zope:class ?
>>
>> They have the same definition in zope/app/component/meta.zcml .
>>
>> Is this just a historic relic, or do I miss something ?
>

> Indeed. They're identical.

Right. Conveivably, that need not always be true.

>> ( The zope:class directive seems to be used only in the apidoc
>> configure.zcml's and in the dublincore configure.zcml )
>

> I personally prefer using "zope:content" for content types and
> "zope:class" for other classes that need configuration (such as
> security). But that's just me :)

Right. That't the intent.  Sometimes, we'll use zope:class
to make secuity declarations for an adapter.  It would be
silly and confusing to call this "content".

OTOH, there are things we might want to say about content that
we wouldn't say about anythng else.

> Maybe we should get rid of one...

I don't think so.