[Zope3-dev] Re: partial adapters

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Aug 2 11:15:10 EDT 2004

Garrett Smith wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
>
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Did partial adapters ever make it into 3.0?
>>

>> Why do you want partial adapters?  Would subscription adapters do what
>> you need?
>>

> It's the use case cited in the proposal -- multiple sources of
> 'sublocations' (I'm calling them subobjects).

I ended up using regular adapters for that.  While, in theory,
partial adapters are a better fit, I didn't actually need partial
adapters to make sublocations for for X3.0.

> I'm happy with what I have now, but recalled that this was one of the
> drivers behind partial adapters. Though admitedly, I don't think I fully
> understood partials :-)

Partial adapters are very subtle and would require a fair bit of effort
to implement.  I suspect they will be necessary at some point,

Another possibility would be to use subscription adapters, howeverm one
would then need to worry about catching duplicates.