[Zope3-dev] Re: Including utilities with a release package

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Aug 3 15:20:06 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Fred Drake wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 14 July 2004 11:11 am, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>  > After having realized that a release package of Zope X3 does not
>> contain
>>  > the useful utilities like i18nextract and importchecker, I filed
>>  > http://collector.zope.org/Zope3-dev/243.  In a chat with Fred, we came
>>  > to the conclusion that those should be provided in SOFTWARE_HOME/bin.
>>
>> I think we do need to be a little careful with some of them though.
>> rst2html, in particular, relies on files that are not currently in the
>> installation (style sheets and an image file in doc/style/).  I'll
>> have to figure out what the right thing to do is about this one.  It's
>> also not clear whether anyone other then myself knows about it (or
>> would care if they did).
>

> That's fine, we don't have to move all of them. My current candidates are:
>
> - i18nextract.py, i18nstats.py, i18nmergeall.py  (for obvious reasons)
> - importchecker.py, importorder.py
> - unittestgui.py
>
> - importtool / finddeps.py  (useful for people who later want to use
> zpkg to package their software). These sound identical, btw. Where's the
> difference between importtool and finddeps.py?
>
> The others seem specific to Zope development and could stay where they are.

Now that the release candidate is approaching, the issue I filed
(http://collector.zope.org/Zope3-dev/243) was loooked at. I apologize
for not having done anything about this.

I basically agree with Tim's last follow up on the issue;
installation-wise (meaning, in SETUP.cfg), they should be treated as
scripts. That means they should loose their .py extension and be moved
to 'bin' so that they end up in the instance's bin directory, too.

Unless Fred to whom the bug was assigned really wants to do it, I can
make that change according to the above list if noone objects; I won't
touch unittestgui.py as it's going to be removed anyway...

Philipp