[Zope3-dev] z.a.pagetemplate.engine and ITraverser

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 10:32:28 EDT 2004

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:18:43 +0300, Steve Alexander <steve at z3u.com> wrote:
> Are these things used outside of TALES at all?  I don't think so, but
> I'd like to be proved wrong.

I thought they were used for traversal of the path received as part of
the request as well.

> If they are used only for TALES, then they should be ITALESTraversers.
>
> I'll invoke "AL" at this point:  "Abstract Later"

If that's what makes sense.  I wasn't aware that either was a
TALES-specific concept.  I found them defined in z.a.traversing, so
assumed they're used elsewhere.

> Ok, so how about IURLSegmentTraverser and IURLTraverser ?

I don't think of what's happening in TALES to be URL traversal at all,
so am not comfortable with having "URL" in there.

> I really don't like to have to remember or to explain the difference
> between a "traverser" and a "traversable".

I don't either; that's just what I found, and I didn't see a specific
reason to change that aspect of this now.  I think that's unrelated to
the separation of URL traversal from object graph traversal, at any
rate, regardless of how nice it would be to have been names.

Given that the names are pretty much frozen for ZopeX3 3.0, I'd rather
not change them any more than necessary.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation