[Zope3-dev] Completing WebDAV and zwiki

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Aug 30 09:50:18 EDT 2004

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

>     2) DAV requests for the content of a file are indistinguishable
>        from an ordinary HTTP request.  (From tcpflow's trace of
>        cadaver's request I couldn't identify it as DAV)

Right

 >        HTTP requests
>        don't use the filesystem representation, and thus accessing a
>        wikipage's "content.txt" results in a 404 response.
>
>        I have no idea how this should be solved.  I believe the DAV
>        protocol includes a request for the source of a resource.  Is
>        this really a bug in cadaver that it didn't specify wanting the
>        source?

AFAIK, no clients to this,

 >        Does zope even handle source requests?

Don't know if Zope 3 does.  I'm pretty sure that Zope 2 does,
not that it matters.

The way this problem is addressed in Zope 2 is to run a dedicated
DAV server on a separate port.  This is something we'll need to do
for Zope3 as well.

We've been able to avoid this for software (e.g. TTW views)
by managing software objects at different urls than they're displayed.
Of course, using a different port is a variation on this technique.